View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R 

Post Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R (Intel P45/ICH10R Chipset)
Intel E-7300 processor (Socket 775)
6GB Kingston Hyper-X memory
F11 Bios (F3 works too)
Intel EXPI9301CTBLK (add in NIC)
2 WD VelociRaptor disk drives (Very quiet and exceedingly fast).

ESXI does not recognize the onboard RAID array (Intel controller), but does see the drives individually. The onboard NIC was not recognized either.

The E7300 CPU does not support Intel VT, nor VT-D.
I did not check for CPU fault tolerance.

An interesting side note here is that EXSI which requires a 64 Bit capable processor runs fine with this setup. However, I am unable to run any other 64 bit OS, virtually or otherwise. Such OS's install fine, but never make it past the first boot (compaining about lack of 64 bit hardware or something like that). I suspect this is the fault of the E7300 CPU and not the motherboard.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:54 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
Thanks for posting your system. The ability to run x64 guests requires Intel VT (VT-x) which is a processor feature.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:44 pm

Post Re: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
Revisiting this configuration after a couple of years....

The GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard supports booting ESXI 4.1 U1 from a USB flash drive. It also happily accepts an LSI SAS3041E-R host bus (Raid 0, 1, 1E) controller in the sole PCI-Express slot (though I had to use a PCI video card at that point).

However, this motherboard will not boot from the LSI storage controller. In the LSI utility I had to disable the "BIOS" boot option and select "Operating System" support only. For me this isn't really a problem as I am happy to see the LSI controller working at all. This just means booting will need to be via USB, or from a drive attached to the onboard Intel ICH10R SATA controller.

For storage performance numbers...when booted up on a Fedora 14 LiveCD, my 2 old 150GB WD1500HLFS Raptors in a RAID 0 stripe are reporting Read/Write speeds of 209/200MB/s using the Gnome disk utility. And hdparm -Tt /dev/sda reports cached reads of 1950MB/s and 235MB/s buffered. This is better than what I was seeing in Windows using the ICH10R software controller. HDTUNE only reported 180MB reads there. Not bad for a used $40 controller I picked up from Ebay. Plenty of speed to play with and learn about ESXI.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]