View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 OEM.TGZ for the Sil3132 

Post Re: OEM.TGZ for the Sil3132
Can someone do something with these redhat drivers this is the R version of the 3132 this is what is needed to make enclosures with multipliers work

Attachments:
si3132r5_RHEL42_64bit_v1090_driver_and_GUI.tar.gz [1.09 MiB]
Downloaded 330 times
Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:56 pm

Dave.Mishchenko wrote:
ESXi doesn't support software RAID so you'll want to reconfigure the drives to be individual disks.

If you want to use a RAID 5 software card (Highpoint 2310) as a data drive within the guest OS (windows) will this work? I.e. the 4 disks are recognised by ESXi and passed through to windows, if the software / drivers are installed will windows then be able to see them as a single RAID disk?

I understand why ESXi won't be able to see the RAID drive itself, but as I'm not going to use that drive for running any of the images I'm trying to find a way around so I can still use this RAID drive.

Thanks

FBT

Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:35 am

Dave.Mishchenko wrote:
ESXi doesn't support software RAID so you'll want to reconfigure the drives to be individual disks.

If you want to use a RAID 5 software card (Highpoint 2310) as a data drive within the guest OS (windows) will this work? I.e. the 4 disks are recognised by ESXi and passed through to windows, if the software / drivers are installed will windows then be able to see them as a single RAID disk?

I understand why ESXi won't be able to see the RAID drive itself, but as I'm not going to use that drive for running any of the images I'm trying to find a way around so I can still use this RAID drive.

Thanks

FBT

Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:53 am
Site Admin

FatBoyTim wrote:
Dave.Mishchenko wrote:

Thanks

FBT

If the system supported Intel VT-d (directed I/O) or AMD IOMMU then you could use VMdirectpath to pass the controller (and all attached disks) directly to the VM.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:19 am

Dave.Mishchenko wrote:
If the system supported Intel VT-d (directed I/O) or AMD IOMMU then you could use VMdirectpath to pass the controller (and all attached disks) directly to the VM.

That's not quite what I was meaning... I figured that would be the case but that means you can only have one guest OS, right? Which rather defeats the point of virtualisation :-)

If the VM host is presenting 4 individual disks to the guest OS, is there any reason why, with the software RAID installed on that virtual machine, the guest OS could not be configured to see 1 RAID drive even if the underlying host sees all the disks individually?

Thanks

FBT

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:15 am
Site Admin

Quote:
If the VM host is presenting 4 individual disks to the guest OS, is there any reason why, with the software RAID installed on that virtual machine, the guest OS could not be configured to see 1 RAID drive even if the underlying host sees all the disks individually?

You can present two virtual disks to a guest OS and create a RAID x array, but you can't create an array with a software RAID controller and past just the array into the VM, as part of the RAID functionality is deployed within the driver.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:48 pm

Anyone in this thread successfully created ESX 5 drivers for SIL3132 chips?
(I'm asking you because you might have the needs as well :) )

Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:15 am

I need it too for Esxi5

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:41 am

the file doeasn't works for silicom image 3124 RAID

Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:29 am

the oen.tgz file doeasn't work with my config :

tyan s7002
silicon image 3124 RAID 10 (4x1tb)

help me plz