View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 oem.tgz containing r8168.o module based on 8.016 src 

Post Re: oem.tgz containing r8168.o module based on 8.016 src
mquadro wrote:
@varazir: I tried to use your v3.8 script, b'se I use a CentOS box, but surely I make some mistake and Cannot get ESXi to work...

Cent OS is redhat based if I'm not wrong, has another installation command.
The script should ask for that.

Do you get any error msg running the script ?

Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:38 am
Profile WWW

rockster70 wrote:
append vmkboot.gz --- vmkernel.gz --- sys.vgz --- cim.vgz --- ienviron.tgz --- image.tgz --- oem.tgz --- install.tgz

(do not add oem.tgz at end of the line, it must before "install.tgz")

Are you sure about that ?

Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:53 am
Profile WWW

@Varazir: I cannot test your script right now, I'll give you a feedback in few hours, but basically I can run v3.8 script, where v3.9 stuck immediately with an error...
@Rockster: I build a correct installation CD (with your oem.tgz in root and in dd file, and your modified syslinux.cfg) but I get an exception after the yellow screen...
[ #PF Exceprion (14) in world 4096: console ip 0x41800d1f138c ......]

I think it's better to make all Reltek stuff working in this topic (putting oem.tgz line in syslinux in antoher place?) and maybe help me in ICH7 issues in my another topic
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1937
Thanks

Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:12 am

@varazir:
Regarding the position of "oem.tgz" in append line:
I am not sure, but I think I can remember, that when I tested install once with "oem.tgz" add the end, it did not work. As I do not see any valid explanation for that behavior I would say, that I did some weird characters when I entered it at the end of append line and maybe that was reason for not working.

In the working installation set I had "oem.tgz" always before the "install.tgz", that was the reason for my recommendation...

@mquadro:
if you placed larger oem.tgz in dd file and smaller one in root for installation support (both w/o other modules in place), and you got the error already during installation, I have no glue, what causes exception 14...

Regarding ICH7 I will have a look in other topic, and if I have info, I will post it there...

Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:03 pm

mquadro wrote:
@Varazir: I cannot test your script right now, I'll give you a feedback in few hours, but basically I can run v3.8 script, where v3.9 stuck immediately with an error...

I found the problem, the file was in the wrong format. Should work now

Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:08 pm
Profile WWW

UPDATE: My ESXi' netowking stucks on heavy networking (like exporting a template).
I've a unusual config (ESXi installed on USB stick), so maybe it's my fault, but take a look at networking.
Bye
M

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:19 am

Problem with network does not sound good :-( Other drivers I tested had also problems under heavy load conditions. But for reproducing, I have a few questions:

1. Do use ESXi 4.0 U1? Or earlier version?
2. What do you mean by "exporting a template"? Creating a template for VM creation based on existant VM? Or other func in another app / OS? Actually I would suspect that export template in vmware does not create "heavy load"!
3. It has nothing to do with USB as installation and / or starting media. Network has to work always, if ESXi started correctly without any suspicious messages (/var/log/messages)
4. BTW: I encountered problems with NIC also, but only after I have used FTP access to proftp contained inside my first oem.tgz. (Maybe depends on the ftp daemon build???)
5. I have currently installed a Windows Server 2008 x64 (fully paravirtualized) and I did not have have any problems so far...

Would be good - either way - to have some additional feedback from users, which tried the given r8168.o module...

Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:25 am

An update:
I'm trying to make a template from an installed CentOS box, with the "File -> Export - Export OVF template" command.
The VM is on an NFS datastore (small NAS), and after 8 to 90% the operation fail. In ESXi 4 update1 console I try to test the network, but it doesn't work, even if I restart it.
I have to reboot to make it working again.
Today I did some other tests, but all the network operation seems to go flawlessy (no heavy load).
Export operations continue to fail.
Hope this helps

Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:56 am

Well, I could replicate the problem by exporting OVF template from a VM...

First investigation seem to bring up some problem with so-call NAPI in driver...

If I have time during weekend, I will have a deeper look into it...

But in the meantime I would call the driver as unstable (exporting a OVF should definitely work...)

Sorry so far... Next info on weekend...

Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi

I have this driver working with the following card.. I am restricted in that I only have a single lane PCI-e port!!

http://www.startech.com/item-accessories/ST1000SPEXDP-Dual-Port-PCI-Express-Gigabit-Ethernet-NIC-Network-Adapter-Card.aspx

I use this card a dual wan interface.. and I frequently get one of the connections drop off.. If I disconnect and reconnect the ethernet cable then it springs back to life!!

Any chance you could compile and post the latest module based on 8.018 src?

Yours
Phil

Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2