View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 oem.tgz containing r8168.o module based on 8.016 src 

Post oem.tgz containing r8168.o module based on 8.016 src
Just compiled latest r8168 (8.016) source as a module. I did some brief tests on ESXi 4.0 U1 inside a vm with Windows Server 2008 x64 and it worked (even 1 GB transfers using remote desktop access) and had good performance (940 MBit/s).

Maybe others, which had problems with other builds can check it.

Attached oem.tgz contains FTP, SSH, wget etc.

Did that because r8169 driver refused to connect with 1 GBit (told me it has fiber as port :-( )

Attachment:
File comment: oem.tgz
r8168 (8.016) module (FTP, SSH, wget etc.)

oem.tgz [787.26 KiB]
Downloaded 2492 times

Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:33 am
Site Admin

Post Re: oem.tgz containing r8168.o module based on 8.016 src
Thanks for posting this. Would you be able to post the source file for the driver? Being able to look at your changes would be helpful to others who head down this path.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:14 am

I would recommend to name the oem file with the extra you have added.

Something like this r8168_ftp_ssh_wget_oem.tgz . But it's up to you

//Daniel

Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:19 pm
Profile WWW

Well, it was just a short strike to get rid of the probs I had discovered (mainly the same others had).

Regarding naming:

"Final" post (if driver works for others) will reflect the contained components.

Regarding changes / fixes:

a) I used latest official source from Realtek 8.016

b) Patched (manually) the things discovered / recommended by user geppi (see topic: http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1272)

c) Compiled on an Ubuntu 9.10 x64 installation using gcc 4.1.2 building a script based on the information in "build-vmkdrivers.sh" (which is in the open-source downloadable ESXi archive inside vmkdrivers-gpl.tgz). I took care that all components of the driver are linked together in the script and finally striped out debug-symbols from the created module (another version posted somewhere contained debug-symbols which made the module quite large...)

"Sources" of the script used and a brief how-to will be posted, if driver really works stable for others...

Hope, that helps anyway...

BTW: I use a Jetway jf81-n board which even has to onboard NICs based on r8168 chip and both are working perfectly (other hw like IDE / SATA in AHCI and AMD Athlon II 605e are also working..., nice little ESXi box now)

Any feedback about stableness and performance is welcome :-)

Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:03 pm

Hi, sorry for bothering, but I've lot of problems to make my config works.
I have r8168 NIC (ASUS P5KPL-SE), make a bootable SD and copied your oem.tgz (in dd file and in SD's root dir) but when I boot the system I always get the "unsupported NIC" error.
I go in unsupported mode, but there's no oem.tgz, even in bootbank directory. What's wrong?

Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:33 pm
Site Admin

How exactly are you copying the file to the drive and are you putting it in /bootbank?

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:31 pm

@mquadro:

I think the problem is, that you want to install (either with USB or CD-Rom) which contains a "oem.tgz" in root directory of install source. Well at least for ESXi 4.0 U1 the oem.tgz is not loaded for installation process. Easiest is the change of the "append" line in file SYSlinux.cfg (if you followed the how-to for creating an USB stick for installation) the line is originally:

append vmkboot.gz --- vmkernel.gz --- sys.vgz --- cim.vgz --- ienviron.tgz --- image.tgz --- install.tgz

and you should change to

append vmkboot.gz --- vmkernel.gz --- sys.vgz --- cim.vgz --- ienviron.tgz --- image.tgz --- oem.tgz --- install.tgz

(do not add oem.tgz at end of the line, it must before "install.tgz")

During installation the other content I had in the oem.tgz in my first post (ssh, ftp etc.) is not needed. Therefore I build an oem.tgz, which contains only the minimum files. If you like to have the other things (ftp, ssh etc.) you should still use first oem.tgz for integration in dd file, becaue this image is transferred to your hd.

Find enclosed an archive containing "SYSlinux.cfg" and stripped oem.tgz.

Attachments:
File comment: Put these files in root directory of your USB stick (if you install from USB to HD).
for_installation.zip [185.47 KiB]
Downloaded 471 times
Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:01 am

If you have a linux system use my script. It has option to add the ssh ftp wget rsync to the oem file and no need to boot up with a live cd after.

adds the oem file to the dd file.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:32 am
Profile WWW

@varazir: I tried to use your v3.8 script, b'se I use a CentOS box, but surely I make some mistake and Cannot get ESXi to work...
@rockster70: great work, and like you said I never edited the syslinux.cfg file (I didn't find it in the tutorial, maybe I was too sleepy!)
But yesterday I make an SD card working (installing from CD and modifying with linux box) and everything goes...
The only strange thing is when I boot from CD I can only see my SD reader for installation...

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:41 am

@mquadro:

if you do not see your "usual" hd drives for installation target, it is most likely another topic with you hd connection(s). Where does your usual / planned boot drive reside: ide / sata

There are several other postings related to IDE / SATA drive support, if it comes to installation and / or datastorage for ESXi.

Good starting point is an lspci -p (in console under ESXi / or installation; you find info, how you open console in some places on vm-help.com)

I did y brief investigation of your board specs and I am pretty sure that it contains a "special" chip for IDE (PATA, ATA however you wanna call it ...). Actually SATA should work, if you switched on AHCI mode in BIOS, because your board has an Intel ICH7

Potentially you have add some other divers to the oem.tgz and / or change information in the "simple.map" file, which lists Device Info - module relation...

Hope, you can proceed...

Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next